Nothing builds confidence like a beautiful, clean set of pearly whites. However, due to poor oral health care, many persons are not able to experience the joy of smiling. That’s why we at Fremaux Dental Care aim to provide the best preventive dentistry services in Slidell, to ensure that you never miss an opportunity to smile.
What is preventive dentistry?
The phrase ‘prevention is better than cure’ certainly rings true in the world of oral health care. Preventive dental care is the act of caring for your teeth in an effort to avoid enamel wear, cavities, gum disease, and other oral diseases. The greater the effort to care for your teeth, the greater your chances of maintaining a healthy mouth for life.
Types of preventive dental care
There are several types of preventive dental care that can be combined to ensure that your teeth remain in excellent condition. These include:
- Teeth cleaning done both at home and during regular appointments with your dentist.
- Oral examinations done at six-month intervals.
- Routine x-rays carried out by your dentist, as needed.
Benefits of preventive oral health care
Once the habit of preventive oral health is developed, you can reap several benefits:
- There is a higher chance of early detection of oral problems.
- Your risk of oral diseases, such as gum disease, is lessened.
- The likelihood of developing certain diseases and major health conditions, like certain cancers, heart disease, and diabetes, can be reduced.
- The cost of treatment for dental care will decrease.
- Your confidence can be boosted as you will be able to proudly speak and interact with others.
What role can you play in preventive dentistry?
Research conducted among children in the United States shows that tooth decay is five times more prevalent than asthma and seven times more common than hay fever. This shows that oral health among children is of great concern. It is, therefore, important that proper oral health practices are taught from an early age. But no matter how old you are, it is never too late to start practicing preventive dental care.
Here are some things you can do:
- Brush your teeth. Brushing your teeth daily with fluoride toothpaste is essential to oral health and the beginning of preventive dental care. Brushing should be done twice per day, mornings and nights. Ensure you brush using circular motions and don’t neglect your tongue. Proper brushing will prevent plaque from hardening and causing gingivitis.
- Floss your teeth. While many persons will brush their teeth, there is a large majority that doesn’t floss. Flossing once per day is typically sufficient. Flossing not only removes pieces of food from between your teeth, but it also serves as a stimulant for your gums, reduces plaque build-up, and helps lower inflammation along the gumline.
- Use mouthwash. The use of mouthwash aids with oral health, as it remineralizes teeth, reduces acidity in the mouth, and helps to clean areas in the mouth that are hard to brush.
- Maintain a balanced diet. Eating healthy also aids in preventive dental care. Drinking water after meals helps to erase the aftermath of sticky and acidic foods and beverages. Limiting the amount of sugary and acidic foods you eat and increasing your vegetable and fruit intake will also help preserve your teeth and overall oral health.
- Visit your dentist. It’s recommended that, even when you practice good oral health habits at home, you see your dentist at least twice per year. Maintaining regular check-ups with your dentist is crucial. Your dentist will be able to remove any plaque build-up, identify cavities and any other potential threat, and provide the necessary solutions.
Do you require preventive dental care in Slidell?
Are you residing in or around the Slidell area and in need of preventive dental care? Then contact us today to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our preventive dentistry services. Our amazing professionals are waiting to provide you with a stress-free, comfortable experience to help you create your best smile.