How to Tell You Need Dental Crowns
A dental crown is a cap-shaped covering that is used for varying restorative and cosmetic dental procedures. The application of dental crowns is one of the most common dental procedures in the United States.
Below are some signs you need a dental crown.
- A cracked tooth. Unlike a fractured bone, a cracked tooth will not heal. A crown will provide support and strength for a broken tooth.
- A root canal. Doing a root canal to remove decay from a tooth generally leaves it in a weakened state. Applying a crown to the tooth will prevent damage.
- Advanced tooth decay. Badly decayed teeth are generally not suitable for fillings as they tend to be weak. A crown will help to protect the tooth and prevent further decay.
- Severely discolored or misshapen teeth. Dental crowns can improve the shape and color of teeth and can significantly improve your smile.
Types of dental crowns
If you are considering dental crowns, there are several types from which you can choose.
- Stainless steel crowns. Stainless steel is usually used to create a temporary crown to protect a tooth or filling while a permanent crown is being manufactured from another type of material. Stainless steel crowns are also used for children who are experiencing tooth decay with their temporary teeth.
- Metal crowns. Metal crowns are made from gold, platinum, or base-metal alloys. These types of crowns can be costly, and they are not suitable for those wanting a natural-looking restoration. However, they are quite durable.
- All-resin crowns. All-resin crowns can look natural and are less expensive than other types of crowns, but they can be easily damaged.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns. Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are made from a thin layer of metal coated with a layer of porcelain. These crowns can match natural teeth. However, the metal beneath the porcelain sometimes shows as a dark line at the base of the crown, so they are best used on back teeth.
- Ceramic crowns. Ceramic crowns can be used for both your front and back teeth, as they can be made to look like natural teeth. A ceramic crown is also suitable for those who are allergic to metal.
How long do dental crowns last?
The lifespan of a dental crown can range from 5 to 15 years. How long a dental crown lasts will depend on the type of crown, how well it is cared for and whether the wearer has habits like teeth grinding, jaw clenching, or ice chewing.
Dental crowns do not require special care, but it is important to note that a tooth covered with a crown might still be affected by decay or gum disease without proper dental hygiene. Therefore, it is essential to continue practices such as brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and using an antibacterial mouthwash.
Same-day dental crowns
In the past, a new custom crown would require two to three appointments to complete and place. The entire process would take weeks, and a temporary crown would be necessary to protect the affected tooth until a permanent crown was fabricated in a dental lab.
Now, there is a better way to get a permanent dental crown. Same-day crowns, made from ceramic, are created in a dental office and placed during a single visit.
Do you need dental crowns in Slidell?
If you are living in or around the Slidell area and need a dental crown, we would be delighted to have you visit us at Fremaux Dental Care.
At Fremaux Dental Care, we are equipped with the best tools and highly trained professionals to guarantee your satisfaction. We will digitally recreate your tooth so you can leave our clinic with a custom crown created on site.